Monday, March 26, 2012

Bad Run, Good Weekend.

Friday's workout was P90X legs and back + Ab Ripper.  Saturday morning my legs were more sore than after the marathon last week!  I wanted to run 10 miles, I made it 5, barely.  It was such a tough run and no matter how much I slowed the pace, I just couldn't get my legs right.
Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
I had a birthday party to take my son to anyways.
 We partied pirate style at a giant indoor playground/sand box.


Saturday night we couldn't decide on what to do for dinner so we hit up whole foods and and $24 worth of salad and hot bar later, we were only semi full. Gosh, I don't know how you guys do it, it is so expensive.  I'm just not cool enough for whole foods.  

Sunday started like any other Sunday, Dekalb Farmer's Market. 
We hit up Kennesaw Mountain for some great incline walking and a picnic.
The kids "rode" bikes (neither can peddle too well) and we had a great day, enjoying great weather.


I love Monday's, since Sunday's are always a rest day for me, I'm always excited to start the week off with a great workout.  It seems Monday - Wednesday are pretty intense workouts and Thursday - Saturday are more cardio intense days.
It's a good schedule.
Right now I'm using 5 and 10 lbs weights. 5 lbs for triceps and straight arm shoulders. 10 lbs for biceps, presses, and leg moves.  I would like to increase that within the next 3 months.
Pull ups are chair assisted or I use resistance bands hung from the door.  I'm not sure which I like best and I'm not sure which are more beneficial to me.
Basically I suck at pull ups.
On the running front, things have been slow, literally.
My weekday runs are usually 5-7 miles long. My pace is usually anywhere from 8:00 - 8:40 min/mph.
I would really like to get to the point where my pace is 8 min for all of those runs.

Question?

Please Help! If you use free weights, what weight do you use?

I need to get to a weight to where I can actually BUILD some muscle. I just don't think 5 and 10 lb dumbbells are gonna do the trick!  


1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you are back at it...your legs will be back in no time :)

    i have been loving lifting lately as well and monday is my favorite workout day...i have plenty of time and feel like i will recover before attempting a weekend LR! i actually use 8-12lb weights all the time. i have never really increased...i guess i could...but in college we used to do heavy weight low rep for softball and i just got "too big" in my mind. so now i stick with lower weights and just add on another set if i want to do more!

    ReplyDelete