Monday, October 3, 2011

Marathon Training Recap

Soooo, in less than a month I will be running my first marathon.
I'm excited, nervous, and really intimidated.
My training hasn't been what I hoped for. I've not been recuperating from my runs very quickly.
I'm constantly sore, like really I can't walk down the stairs or sit on a toilet sore.
I've done speed work like 4 times in 3 months.
I ran 20 miles on Saturday. It was better than the 1st attempt, but not exactly a confidence builder.
I'm still very sore, I've had a lot of pain on the inside of my shin. It's sore to the touch and changing shoes has not helped. I have blisters. I'm just a mess :(
I have 22 miles on the schedule for next Saturday, I'm tempted to do it on the treadmill, but I think I really need the practice on the street.
My paces are ALL over the place. I really have no idea what to expect come marathon day.
Most of my runs are between 7-10 miles and paces are usually 8:20 - 9:00/mile. Mile repeats (the only speed work I've done) are around7:05, long runs (16 or more miles) my paces have been anywhere from 9:15 - 10:00/mile. Oh and I did yasso's 800s once at 3:45.
You know they say you make the greatest improvements from your 1st to your 2nd marathon. So that means my 2nd will go much better than this, right?

So this was last night's dinner:


I know it doesn't look very appatizing (that's mostly because I cannot take pictures), but trust me it was good and vegan!
We've got braised green beans - fresh green beans, tomatos (in a box, bpa free!!!), onion, sumac (a really yummy spice) and garlic and braise forever! They are so good.
Roasted sweet potatoes
Roasted cauliflower and broccoli
and rice... Yum-o

Tonight I'm making stuffed vegetables (acorn squash, zucchini, and red peppers) with bulgur.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Dairy free and meat free dinner ideas???

Please help. They say (obviously) to run your marathon at a pace you can sustain the entire time. I have no idea what that is (partly because I've never run a marathon) and my training paces have truly been all over the place.
HELP!

My legs are sore, my ankles hurt, my feet are a mess, and my shins hurt, but I'm going to attempt some sort of speedwork today, wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm only running my first marathon a little after you, but I have read a lot that your marathon pace should be just a bit faster than your long runs (at least for first-timers like us). So if you can sustain a 9:15 pace on a 20 miler, then you should have NO problem keeping that, or maybe a bit faster, on your 26.2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your food looks delicious!

    Regarding your marathon, I think that is what I learned keeps bringing people back or at least will keep bringing me back. I was able to keep a 9:25-9:30 avg pace this past one up until mile 19. Then I lost it near the end but I am glad I pushed myself to go for a tougher pace for me. I learned what I need to work on...a little more endurance with that pace. For my first my training was all over the place and I had no idea what to expect so I just tried to go by feel. I forced myself to start much slower at the beginning and then just gradually picked it up as I felt okay from there. I think my best advice would be: you are definitely going to have goals but know that they are there and keep them in the back of your mind. On race day you just never know what might happen so definitely try running the first half by feel and maybe a bit slower than you want and then if you still feel good, kick it up the second half. My biggest thing was that I wanted to finish and I didnt want to mess that up by going too crazy the first half. you will do great! i always get burnt out physically and mentally about the time you are now in your training. once you are officially tapering...it starts feeling real and you can feel relieved that you made it and just feel excited for the race! hang in there, you are almost there! and your marathon day will be a great day!

    ReplyDelete